About a year ago, my husband and I started to make our own all-purpose cleaner. We started doing this because the price of my favorite Method brand all purpose spray was ridiculous. Really? $4-5 for a spray bottle of stuff that hardly lasts as long as it should? Also, I do not consider all purpose cleaners to REALLY be all purpose unless they actually can be used to clean everything. And I mean everything. Counter-tops, stoves, metal, glass, porcelain,… you get the idea.
We found a good recipe online, but I have modified it a little so that you can use it on more than counter-tops.
What you will need:
- Spray Bottle (you can reuse one… it doesn’t have to be fancy)
- Borax (yes… the miracle cleaner)
- Dish soap (please use an environmentally-friendly, phosphate-free one)
- Essential Oil in your favorite clean fragrance – I use peppermint, but I am thinking that orange, evergreen, and lavender would also be awesome
How to mix cleaner:
- Fill your spray bottle up about 3/4 of the way with WARM/HOT water (make sure it is warm enough to dissolve the Borax).
- Add 2-3 tsp of Borax.
- Add 2 drops of dish soap.
- Add 4-5 drops of oil.
- Add more water if you want, but leave some room for shaking.
I use our cleaner on mirrors, wood, counter-tops… EVERYTHING. I realize that it will not be good to always use this mixture on woods, so I plan on trying a recipe I found for homemade wood polish. However, for mirrors and glass and every thing else, this mixture works fantastic. For glass, just be sure to wipe wipe wipe until dry so that it does not leave streaks.
What does all this cost? PENNIES. We have saved about $5 per month on all purpose cleaner. That is $60 per year! Leaves more money for more important things… like fine cheese and wine. 🙂
For more recipes, try EarthEasy. I have not tried them yet, but am excited to try something new!